Taiko Instruction Database
Most Taiko groups are only willing to teach people who have an active interest
in joining the performing group. If this is the case, contact the group
directly to see if they are accepting new members, and what the requirements
The following instructional opportunities are open to the public, and require no musical skills to join. Taiko is a fairly rigorous activity, so be prepared if some warm-ups and exercises are required. There are also Taiko workshops of various length listed at the bottom of this page.
All biographical or discriptive information given has been submitted by the respective instructor or organization. Rolling Thunder has no way to verify accuracy of the information presented. Although efforts is made to ensure accuracy, information may be out of date. Instructor descriptions are copyright to respective instructors. Editorial comments by Rolling Thunder are enclosed in [brackets]. If you can add or correct an entry, please contact please contact Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Austin Taiko currently holds apprentice classes once a week on Wednesday mornings, with performing group practice on Fridays evenings. Apprentice membership fee is $60 per month. Occasional extra lessons are available upon coordination with instructor. Students furnish their own bachi and taiko clothes as needed.
- Austin Taiko
Contact: Martha Durham
6501 Brownwood Court
Austin, TX 78731
Tel: (512) 349-7480
Carol Ayers is the Taiko Instructor at the San Francisco Women's Drum Troupe.
The Troupe offers ongoing Taiko classes for women. Beginning classes are
held every Saturday from Noon to 2pm and Intermediate classes are held every
Sunday from 11am to 2pm; both at a studio in the SOMA area of San Francisco.
Classes are small, informal and supportive and the drummer's creative input is
encouraged. The troupe performs at selected community events.
Tracy Bush has over 10 years of experience playing Taiko in Japan, and often performed at the All-Japan Taiko Festival. She currently is teaching in Novato and Sausalito, California. Novato on Wednesdays at the Hill Community Room: children from 4:30 to 6:00. Adults from 6:30 to 8:30. Sausalito on Thursdays at the Bay Side School Auditorium: children from 4:30 to 6:00. Adults from 7:00 to 9:00.
15 Sunset Way
Muir Beach, CA 94965
- Channel Islands Taiko of Ventura County holds lessons at College United
Methodist Church in Ventura Wednesdays at 7 PM and Sundays at Noon.
Contact Channel Islands Arts at 805.525.5507.
Diablo Shinmu Daiko offers classes on Friday nights from 7pm-8:30pm.
The classes integrates adults and children so that they play and perform
Diablo Shinmu Daiko
Concord, California. USA
Contact: Elsie Okada Tep
Tel: (510) 676-3520
- Emeryville Taiko offers beginning and intermediate classes, as well as "gentle taiko".
- In Emeryville, California.
1601-A 63rd St. (cross street is Hollis)
Emeryville, CA 94608
The class is now on Wednesday, 7-10:00. All levels,no experience necessary. Call 510-655-6392 for more info. They also offer a class for complete beginners the first Saturday of every month.
- The Flinders Street School of Music is the birthplace of tertiary Taiko instruction in Australia, spawning such groups as Ataru taru Taiko and Kin no Taiko. Kin no Taiko is the taiko element of the percussion ensemble of the School of Music, "Stix 'n' Tones", which also incorporates steel drums
and a variety of other percussion ensemble genres.
For further information contact:
Head Percussion Dept.
Flinders Street School of Music
279 Flinders St.
Adelaide, SA 5000
Gen Daiko was founded in 1988 to preserve the matsuri (festival) spirit. The group is dedicated to teaching children, adults, and seniors discipline of the mind, body and spirit. Classes are focused on promoting community
performances. The performing groups help promote Japanese culture
and bring an awareness to thousands of children in the bay area.
- Monday: Adult class 4-5pm; Beg. Children classes 4:50-5:40pm and 5:40pm to 6:20pm.
Thursday: Children's Taiko 1, 515-6pm
Friday: Children's Taiko 2, 5pm to pm; Adult Renchu 1, 5pm to 7pm.
Saturday: Adult class 4-5pm; Beginning Adults, 5-6pm.
Cost: Beginning classes $25 jcccnc member rate per month/$30 non-member; Children classes $30 jcccnc member rate per month/$35 non-member; Intermediate class $30 jcccnc member rate per month/$35 non-member.
- Gyosei Taiko School. Supported by Gyosei International College in the UK, Specialising in school workshops across the UK for primary and secondary schools, and with particular interest in working with children with special needs and disabilities, we also offer regular courses and day-long workshops for adults in Reading, Berkshire. and at other centres around the country where available. We also do short demonstration-style performances, typically at festivals, coventions, exhibitions etc. and are currently developing a wider repertoire for full length performances.
- Gyosei Taiko School
Contact: James Barrow
34 Scott Close
Emmer Green, Reading, Berks
Tel/Fax: 0118 946 3317
- Hen Kei Taiko offers 2 hr. classes; Mon., Wed., Thurs., Sunday. Moab recreation center. Monthly dues $20.00.
Haguruma Daiko Deutschland was founded
in 1997 by Peter "SU" Markus and Frank Dubberke.
Both are students of the japanese Taiko-group
"Wadaiko Haguruma". They offer workshops, projects, private lessons and stage
performances all over Europe. Their class schedule is as follows:
Tuesday: 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. (beginners course); 8:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. (beginners course 1). Thursday: 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. (middle course). Friday: 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (advanced course); 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (beginners course 2). Saturday: 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. (advanced+middle course "open"); 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (beginners course "open")
Haguruma Daiko Deutschland
3347059 Duisburg Germany
Contact Person: Peter "SU" Markus
Tel: +49 203 314176
Fax: +49 203 314176
- Hen Kei Taiko
PO Box 1086
Moab, UT 84532
Contact: = Nan Norris
Established 1993. Consists of 20 players. All women at this point. Various levels of experience. They have performed in Salt Lake City, UT, Moab,UT, Vail Colorado. Currently 're-groupung'. Hen Kei's founder and teacher Annette Kearle moved away in August '98. Seeking new instructor.
- JAPEP Taiko, instructed by Mr. Toshi Sakamoto, offers taiko classes. The schedule may vary from term to term. 3 terms per year, 8 lessons per term. Each class has maximum of 5 students. Private lessons are also available. The last two years his students have played the pieces they learnt in at least 1 public concert.
- JAPEP Taiko
Tel: +61 3 94151588
- Kagemusha Taiko offers regular courses at the Phoenix Arts Centre in Exeter, in the south-west of England. Courses run for one evening per week, for six weeks. Participants can choose either Monday or Tuesdays, from 7:30 - 9:00pm. These courses are open to anyone over the age of 16, with no prerequisites, and they are running continuously. Kagemusha Taiko also offers classes for 12-16 year olds. These also run continuously, in six-week blocks on Mondays, from 6:00-7:00pm.
Via an Outreach Programme, Kagemusha Taiko also make Taiko workshops
available to schools, youth clubs, and other community organisations.
Exeter, EX4 6YT UK
Phone/Fax: +44 (0) 1392 494486
Kaji Yama Taiko offers classes on Sundays
from 2:00 to 4:30 PM. Please call for the details on class times for
beginners, youth, and adults. Performers rehearse from 4:30 to 6:00.
Rehearsals are open to spectators. The location is
2311 Buena Vista in Alameda at the Buena Vista United Methodist Church. Additional class times are planned to begin in the months ahead. Persons of all ages are welcomed. Providing a proper
classroom atmosphere is a very special concern of Tadashi and Shannon.
They work hard to maintain a reasonable amount of tradition and they take
note of the values and influence which comes with practicing in a
Buddhist Temple Christian Church. They try to teach the values of ritual and respect without damping the pleasure and excitement that new students experience with taiko. The teaching techniques are supportive, encouraging, and fun. Each individual student is expected to experience the class as enjoyable
and growth producing. The instructors avoid using criticism or making
harsh demands. While these may not be traditional Japanese teaching
techniques, Tadashi and Shannon feel they are well suited to their
contemporary California taiko students, most of whom are third generation
- Kaji Yama Daiko
Email Contact: Shannon Davidson (email@example.com)
Tel. Contact: Tadashi Davidson (510) 531-3626
has information about workshops and training on their island of Sado, in Japan. They also have information about how to become a Kodo drummer.
- Kodo Village, 148-1 Kaneta-shinden, Ogi, Sado, Niigata, 952-06 Japan
Rev. Shuichi Tom Kurai, of Kishin Daiko, teaches beginning and intermediate classes in Taiko. Rev. Kurai has been playing taiko for 23 years at the following locations:
West Covina (Kishin Daiko)
East San Gabriel Valley Japanese Community Center
Mondays, 7:15 pm - 8:15 pm
George Elder Park
Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 7 pm - 8:30 pm
Montebello (Jishin Daiko)
Sozenji Buddhist Temple
Thursdays, 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm, Sundays (first Sunday of month) 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Pacific Asia Museum
Saturdays, 9:30 am - 11:00 am
Rev. Shuichi Tom Kurai
819 S. Lincoln Ave.
Monterey Park, CA 91755
Tel/Fax: (818) 288-9447
- Miyagi Ryu Ohtori no Kai teaches Okinawan Eisa Taiko and Dance. Okinawan dance was created for and performed to welcome and entertain envoys from China during the trade period. Eisa taiko is lively and often played while dancing, while Okinawan dance has movements somewhat similar to Noh, the classical dance of mainland Japan. It is an integration of Okinawan history and legends choreographed to traditional music. Master Instructor Noriyoshi Arikaki studied under Grand Master Noho Miyagi, who is a National Living Treasure of Okinawan Dance in Japan. Classes in San Lorenzo, San Jose and private lessons in Hayward.
- Miyagi Ryu Ohtori no Kai
Mr. Noriyoshi Arikaki
2571 Tahoe Ave
Hayward, CA 94545
Tel/Fax: (510) 732-0618
- MArco Lienhard, a long time member of the world famous Taiko group Ondekoza, is available for workshops, instruction and Taiko classes in the New York area or anywhere else in the world. Also available for School programs. MArco also offers fue (flute) and shakuhachi instruction. For more information contact:
55 Park Ter. East , B-63
New York, NY 10034
tel/ Fax 212-569-1336
- Portland Taiko now has openings for its Beginning Taiko Kid's Class held
on Sundays from 2:00-3:30 at the International School beginning Nov. 2
and running through Dec. 14 (excluding Thanksgiving weekend). Kids ages
7 and up can learn the basics of taiko. Cost is $45 for the session --
limited enrollment, class will be filled on a first-come, first-served
basis. To register, call 295-9709 and send a check
for the correct amount made out to ONE/Portland Taiko at PO Box 6795,
- Tousha Roetsu is a Japanese teacher of Taiko and kozutsumi (Japan's "talking"
drum). He taught some of KODO's members around twenty years ago and is a famous kozutsumi and shime daiko player.
- Mr. Tousha Roetsu
604 2 Chome
- Sacramento Taiko Dan has children and adult classes.
Beginning class sessions run September thru February.
Monday, open practice; Wed & Sat, P-group class/rehearsal; Fri, 6-7:30 (kids,
7+) and 8:00-10:30 is adult intermediate class (ongoing).
- SJUMC (all the way around back)
6929 Franklin BLVD
Sacramento, CA 95823
info/phone mail line: 1 (916) 444-5667
- San Francisco Taiko Dojo has children and adult classes.
San Francisco, California.
212 Ryan Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080
Phone/fax: (650) 583-4900
Beginning - Wendnesday, 6-7pm. Beginner's classes for kids start the 1st two Wednesdays of the month. Intermediate - Wednesday, 7-8:30pm. Advanced - Sunday 10-12
Beginning - Thursday, 7-8pm, Adv. Beginner - Wednesday, 8:30-10pm, Intermediate - Monday, 7-8:30pm, Advanced - Monday, 7-8:30
Saturday, 1-3pm, Sunday, 1-3pm
- San Jose Taiko holds children's classes. For adults and teens they offer introductory one-day workshops each summer. For those people interested in joining the perfoming group, there is a year long apprenticeship program, by invitation only, that begins each January.
- San Jose Taiko
PO Box 26895
San Jose, CA 95159
(408) 293-9366 - fax
(408) 293-8922 - calendar information line
Taiko offers beginning Taiko lessons to children
and adults at the Enmanji Buddhist Temple (1200 Gravenstein Highway,
Beginning: 6:00 pm- 7:30 pm Tuesdays
Intermediate I: 7:30 pm-9:00 pm Tuesdays
Intermediate II: 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm Thursdays
Open Session I: 1:00 pm-3:00 pm Sundays
Open Session II: 3:00 pm-5:00 pm Sundays
Contact: Sonoma County Taiko
P.O. Box 2164 Sebastopol, CA 95473
Tel: (707) 829 3284
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- The Taiko Center holds classes and writes music for other taiko groups around Japan. They also produce instructional videos (in Japanese). Rolling Thunder has licensed and produced English versions of several of these videos.
- 56 Katsura Chiyohara Nishikyo-ku
Kyoto City, 615 Japan
Tel: 075 392 6975
Fax: 075 392 6978
- Taiko Center of the Pacific, a school of traditional and
contemporary Japanese drumming in Hawaii is currently holding classes in children
and adult beginning to advanced taiko. The Taiko Center of the Pacific maintains a page on their Website with detailed class information You can also call for info at: (808) 737-7236. Melody Takata offers beginning through advanced workshops for taiko groups throughout North America. She also offers workshops and school programs for children of all ages. Melody trained and performed with the Oedo Sukeroku taiko group in Japan, and has lead her own group for over ten years.
- Melody Takata
- Tiffany Tamaribuchi offers beginning, intermediate and advanced classes and workshops for individual players and Taiko groups throughout North America, the Pacific Islands and Europe. Tiffany has studied and toured internationally performing with such notable groups as the San Francisco Taiko Dojo, Hawaii Matsuri Taiko, Zampa Ufujishi Daiko and Za Ondekoza.She holds a 2nd Place award in the Ota-Cho (Fukui-Ken) Zenkoku (All-Japan) O-Daiko competition and has led her professional ensemble (Tozai Wadaiko) to a 3rd place award in the group competition. She continues to tour and train in Japan to further hone her skills and to stay in touch with modern Wadaiko in Japan. Tiffany is the Founder/Artistic Director of the Sacramento Taiko Dan and serves as principle instructor for several other groups.
Tiffany has led many popular workshops at both the 1997 and 1999 North
American Taiko Conferences and at Sonoma County Taiko Camp (I & II).
Workshops can also include information on planning and organizational
structure for successful group management and development, creativity and
composition, stage presentation and injury prevention.
- Tiffany Tamaribuchi
- Tatsumaki Taiko of Berkeley holds weekly taiko classes in North Berkeley, at the Live Oak Park Recreation Center - 1301 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA.
Children's Class - Sundays, 10:00 am to 11:00 am
The children's class is for ages 6 to 13, and meets every Sunday between 10
am and 11 am, in the large recreation room. Our children's group does
participate in our performances, however performance by our students is
Adult Class - Sundays, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
The goal of our adult taiko class is to provide the instruction and training
necessary for students to participate in Tatsumaki Taiko's performances.
While participation in our performances is encouraged, it is strictly
voluntary. The class meets every Sunday between 11 am and 1 pm, in the large
- Tatsumaki Taiko
2851 Shasta Road
Berkeley, CA 94708
Tel: (510) 548-3508
- Tsukudon rehearses every Saturday night (18:00-21:40) at the Kasuga
Kouminkan in Tsukuba City. In addition, two weekend retreats per year are held
to bring rehearsed pieces to performance quality and to introduce wadaiko to
the general public. Regular weekly practices are divided into two sessions.
New members learn several pieces so they may eventually begin to perform in
public, while more experienced members practice and improve more
challenging pieces. During the second half of the practice, all members work
together learning a piece new to the group. The general public is welcome to
visit during meetings to watch the group in practice. The Tsukudon welcomes
new members interested in learning wadaiko; please get in touch with one of
the officers at the meetings.
- Watsonville Taiko, of California, offers classes for adults and childern. Adult classes are 7pm, Children's classes begin at 5pm. Advanced Children's classes begin at 6pm. Interested parties should contact Sandy Crouser.
- Sandy Crouser (408)335-5558.